We are all dealing with a life that comes with a lot of pressure. This brings about a lot of irregularities in peoples’ lifestyles and how they spend their days. This busy lifestyle also impacts our sleep cycles and sleeping patterns.
People can face these sleeping issues due to fatigue or sickness. These issues can also include nasal congestion which makes it difficult to breathe and have a sound sleep. Generally, people use decongestants for immediate relief in such situations.
However, temporary relief will have no impact on what lies ahead. Also, the constant use of chemicals can have other side effects like irritation, runny nose, or a skin allergy. There are various sleeping aids which can help your cause and ease the process of transitioning into sleep.
An insufficient sleep can increase the risks to your health. It brings in the risk of diabetes, obesity, and other fatal diseases. You can also feel excessively tired the next day, hampering your ability to perform your routine tasks.
Good sleep will come with healthy sleeping practices. However, some of us don’t have the time to improve or correct them and might need some help in doing this.
Why Should You Take a Natural Sleeping Aid?
Disturbance in sleep patterns is a common occurrence. Several home remedies can be used to help you with your sleep. These natural sleeping aids can be used to be able to sleep better.
Uses of Sleeping Aids
- You can try using sleeping aids if you see any behavioural changes. In these cases, you are too tired to complete your daily chores. You can also use sleeping aids if you feel your productivity is decreasing.
- Natural sleeping aids also help with short-term insomnia. Short-term insomnia can be caused due to several reasons. It could be due to a change in your immediate surroundings or due to a jet lag or any other similar reasons.
- In case a doctor recognizes a pattern of insomnia, he might give you a sleeping aid. In such a case, rely only on the sleeping aid prescribed to you.
- Natural sleeping aids are the best solutions if you are facing recurring issues. In such a case, you should visit a doctor but also try different sleeping aids which are natural as they can really help you sleep better.
Some Sleeping Aids Which Can Help You Out
Sleeping aids can be an escape from your hectic schedule. They help you in relieving stress and giving you a sound sleep. The best sleep aids are natural, like the following.
Chamomile is known to have a lot of medicinal properties. It is also known to calm your nerves and help you get some sound and peaceful sleep after a hectic day.
Chamomile can be taken in different forms:
- You can make chamomile tea using dried chamomile flowers.
- You can also apply chamomile oil to your forehead as it can help in calming you down and relaxing.
- Chamomile can also be consumed as a tablet.
Chamomile is known to relieve headaches and provide sound sleep. Do not use concentrated chamomile oil as it can be hard on your skin. Also, ensure that you do not consume chamomile oils internally.
Melatonin is a hormone that is produced inside the body. The Pineal gland is responsible for producing it. Melatonin is responsible for inducing sleep in individuals. If there is some issue with the internal secretion of the hormone, you can take capsules for supplementary melatonin.
It’s quite a popular sleeping aid. Doctors recommend a dose of 1-5 milligrams of melatonin before going to bed. Note that it should not be used for more than two weeks.
If the issue doesn’t get resolved in two weeks, make sure to consult your doctor. Also, discontinue taking it if you start experiencing any unusual symptoms.
The lavender plant is recognized for its sweet fragrance. Such fragrances can be relaxing and can put you to sleep. It is a very common sleeping aid that can be used in different ways.
Lavender drops can be added to your room diffuser as its fragrance can help you sleep better.
Lavender oils can also be bought in the form of essential oils. You can rub it on your forehead for good results.
Dried lavender can also be used in making tea.
Lavender is known to ease the difficulties faced while sleeping. It can cure headaches and also help with abdominal discomfort.
Ginseng is popularly used as a sleeping aid. Red Ginseng is known to help with sleeping issues. Consuming the extract will start showing you results in a matter of a few days.
It can help you in calming your nerves and falling asleep in minutes and is also used to fight stress which would further help relax you. It also provides relief if you have an upset stomach or are experiencing stomach or muscle cramps.
There are other sleeping aids available in the market too. You can also consume 5-hydroxytryptophan tablets to help you with headaches and anxiety, ultimately helping you sleep better.
You can also use the Valerian root, which has its origins in Asia and Europe. It tends to improve sleep latency. People also take magnesium tablets to help themselves with proper sleep.
Ways of using sleeping aids
- The first step should be consulting your doctor. In case you are facing any sleep-related issues, it would be appropriate to communicate this with your doctor. The doctor could suggest some sleeping aids that could help you with relaxation.
- Always try to go for a natural sleeping aid first. Becoming heavily dependent on artificial sleeping aids can have a harmful impact on your body in the long run.
- It is also crucial to keep the safety guides handy while consuming or taking any sleeping aids. You must read all the instructions carefully before consuming a particular sleeping aid.
Sleeping aids can significantly help improve your sleep pattern. However, your first goal should always be to improve your lifestyle and sleeping schedules. If these do not work, consult your doctor before taking any kind of medication.