In today’s fast-paced digital landscape, a website is no longer a nice-to-have but is now a must-have for any business that wants to remain visible to customers. To be competitive, however, your website must reflect the core values of your business, answer customers’ questions, and show off your products and services—all successfully enough to drive sales.
A website that doesn’t reach the masses, generate traffic, and expand your customer base is useless. But designing and developing a site that meets your long-term goals and grows in step with your business is not easy.
Hiring a web design agency is the first step to launching a site with top-notch customer experience. The question is, where do you start? How do you hire the best web design company for your individual needs?
Here are a few of the steps you can take to pair yourself with an agency that will deliver the best results within your budget and timeframe.
1. Take a Look at Their Experience
Before you hire a web design company, double-check that they have the technical skillset to handle the job. Moreover, have they worked with similar businesses in the past? Does their portfolio excite you or leave you less than impressed? Have they been awarded for their work?
You want a design team that will bring your vision to life—not hand you a cookie-cutter site like any other. Make sure to answer the following questions to gauge whether you’ve found the right agency:
- How long have they been in business? Only consider agencies that have been in business for at least 5-10 years. This is just long enough for a business to show that it produces high-quality work.
- How many employees do they have? You’re on the hunt for a full team of designers with varying skill sets to meet your needs.
- Are you impressed with their site? You’re one of their potential customers, so you’re in the perfect position to judge—does their site convince you to become a customer?
- What do their previous clients think? Reviews uncover the truth about any company, good or bad. A two-star average rating on Google reviews says all you need to hear.
2. Find a Company That Does It All
What services does the company offer? Hire a web design agency that provides the full package, including:
- High-quality web design services. Find a company that can deliver a custom web design that is head and shoulders above your competitors. Make sure they work with world-class platforms, such as WordPress, WooCommerce, and Magneto.
- Search marketing services. A stellar website is useless without proper promotion. A web design agency that understands how to put your site in front of potential customers is the one you should hire. Be on the lookout for services like SEO, PPC, and Google remarketing strategies.
- Technical support. Does the company offer ongoing support to ensure that your products and services are in front of customers 24/7? Find a company that is committed to your success and not a paycheck.
3. Pick the Company That Picks You
So you’ve narrowed down your list of web design agencies to the last few. Now is the time to get each of them on the phone to test whether they’re the perfect fit. Only a reliable web design company will ask the right questions—a company that takes your wish list and immediately tosses you a quote is one to avoid.
The best agencies get to know you first. They’ll ask you about your current site (if you have one), your long-term goals, and your expectations (think budget and timeframe). Then they’ll decide whether to move forward with you.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to your expectations, being upfront saves time and allows the company you choose to fully cater to your needs. Communication is essential to the design process—pick an agency that maintains open communication lines, values your input, and is dedicated to your vision.
Never settle for a web design company that does an alright job. Especially in today’s digital age, your website is the face of your business. Make sure you hire a team whose previous work motivates you and who is wholly committed to your online success.